The East Herkimer Fire Department held its annual Open House on 10/12 from 12:30-3:30pm. Members of the community were given tours of the station and apparatus and children were able to see Sparky and practice evacuation drills in the smoke house. Thank you to all that stopped by and supported our very successful barbeque, bake sale, and memorial fund raffle from the members of the Fire Department and Ladies Auxiliary!
Reminder to all Town of Herkimer residents that the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation has banned all burning of brush and similar materials from March 16-May 14. Permits for burning will not be issued during this period for the Town of Herkimer. Anyone that plans on burning brush within the NYS DEC guidelines after May 14 must apply for a (free) permit at the Town of Herkimer Offices located at 114 N. Prospect Street, Herkimer. A Town of Herkimer Fire Warden will visit the proposed burn location and review it for safety prior to the issuance of a permit.
Thank you for preventing unnecessary fire department responses this spring!
From the United States Fire Administration:
Based on 2006-2010 annual averages:
- Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in home cooking fires.
- Two-thirds (67%) of home cooking fires started with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.
- Clothing was the item first ignited in less than 1% of these fires, but these incidents accounted for 16% of the cooking fire deaths.
- Ranges accounted for the largest share (58%) of home cooking fire incidents. Ovens accounted for 16%.
- Three of every five (57%) reported non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves.
- Frying poses the greatest risk of fire.
- Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires.
The East Herkimer Fire Department was called to assist Schuyler FD at the scene of a commercial building fire on State Route 5 on 11/25. EHFD provided manpower, tanker, cascade, and set up a fill site. Schuyler was also assisted by Frankfort, Frankfort Center, Deerfield and MOVAC.
The East Herkimer Fire Department joined with the Oriskany Fire Department to pay tribute to beloved firefighter, friend, and chaplain Father Paul Bailey whose funeral services took place on November 15th. Father Paul served both departments as well as the Lowville Fire Department during his tenure as a volunteer firefighter. He held the post of Department President, Fire Police Captain, and Chaplin during his years of service. He will be greatly missed by us all.