Tags : East Herkimer Fire Department, EHFD, General Information, General Information
Did you know Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires? The number of home fires double on Thanksgiving. So, let’s add a pinch of fire safety to the menu.
Keep these safety tips in mind as you prepare your meal.
If you are roasting your turkey, make sure you set a timer. This way, you won’t forget about the bird as you watch the parade or football.
If you are frying your turkey,
- Use a fryer with thermostat controls. This will ensure the oil does not become over heated.
- Thaw your turkey completely. Ice on the bird will cause the oil to splatter.
- Don’t overfill the pot with oil. If you do, the oil will overflow when you add the turkey causing a fire hazard.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the fryer.
- Also, always use the fryer outdoors.
Stuffing and Potatoes:
- Stand by your stove when you are boiling your potatoes or frying onions for stuffing. It is best to stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling or broiling. If you are in the kitchen, it is easier to catch spills or hazardous conditions before they become a fire.
- Keep the area around the stove clear of packaging, paper towels, and dish cloths; anything that can burn.
- Be sure to clean up any spills as they happen.
- Be prepared. Keep a large pan lid or baking sheet handy in case you need to smother a pan fire.
- Turn pot handles towards the back of the stove so you don’t bump them.
By following these safety tips, you will have a delicious and fire safe Thanksgiving. Let the firefighters have dinner with their families, not yours.
Source: U.S. Fire Administration
Tags : , Uncategorized
We are elated to share that East Herkimer Volunteer Fire Department has been chosen as the latest beneficiary of the Hannaford Helps Reusable Bag program! This means every time anyone purchases the blue reusable bag with the good karma message at 401 East Albany Street, Herkimer during the month of November we receive $1~ This is truly a great opportunity for us! Please go to the store, find the reusable bag rack and buy the bag!
Tags : , Uncategorized
The East Herkimer Fire Department held its annual Open House & Chicken BBQ on 10/16. Thank you to all that stopped by and supported our very successful Chicken BBQ, Bake Sale, and Gun Raffle. Winners of the Gun Raffle drawing:
1st Prize: Henry Big Boy Carbine 357 mag/38 special – Amanda Ward
2nd Prize: Henry FireFighter Tribute Edition .22 Long Rifle – Scott Stowell
Tags : East Herkimer Fire Department, EHFD, General Information, East Herkimer Fire Department, General Information
Please take notice that a special meeting of the Board of Commissioners of the East Herkimer Fire District will take place at 7:00 pm on the evening of Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at the East Herkimer Fire Station, 193 Main Road, East Herkimer. The purpose of the meeting, pursuant to Town Law Section 105, is to present the preliminary 2017 budget to all interested residents and to receive and act on any comments offered regarding said budget. The preliminary budget is an increase of 3.00% over the 2016 budget.
All concerned citizens of the East Herkimer Fire District (which includes all of the Town of Herkimer outside the Village) are invited to attend this meeting.